Mango Cacao Frozen Yogurt (for Ninja Creami)

This flavor came about as a delicious and elegant way to use up an excessive amount of mangoes from summer. It was inspired by a recipe for mango or blueberry frozen yogurt by CozyIntentions on Reddit. Their recipe is definitely much more straightforward, but I adapted it to suit my needs with what I had in my pantry and fridge.

Mini dark chocolate chips and cacao nibs add two different kinds of crunch for a fun variation of texture, and smooth, creamy, mango frozen yogurt balances out the cacao flavor. This mango cacao frozen yogurt is delicious, light, refreshing, and has a very balanced flavor.

The vodka makes this recipe soft enough to scoop if leftovers are refrozen, but feel free to omit it if you know you won’t have any leftovers.

By the way, this recipe was originally measured in grams, but the imperial measurements have been approximated just in case anyone needs them. I measured the mix-ins by volume. 

 

An ice cream cone filled with two scoops of ice cream. The scoop on top is mango cacao frozen yogurt, and the scoop on the bottom is eggfruit ice cream.

Mango cacao frozen yogurt on top of eggfruit ice cream. I haven't perfected eggfruit ice cream yet... Mango cacao froyo definitely stole the show!

Mango Cacao Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup (160 g) Greek yogurt

  • 1/2 cup (110 g) mango, fresh or frozen OK

  • 1/3 cup (75 g) milk

  • ¼ cup (50 g) sugar

  • 2 tablespoons (30 g) vodka

  • 1/8th tsp salt (a pinch)

  • ¼ cup (50 g) heavy cream

  • 2 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips

  • 1 tablespoon cacao nibs

Directions

  1. Blend together Greek yogurt, mango, milk, sugar, vodka, and salt.

  2. Gently mix in the cream by hand or blend it in on the lowest setting until just combined.

  3. Pour the mango frozen yogurt into a clean Ninja Creami pint and freeze overnight on a flat surface.

  4. The next day, once totally frozen, churn on the lite ice cream setting. Use the re-spin setting as needed into the frozen yogurt looks creamy (or just shy of it).

  5. Carve a hole straight down through the center of your ice cream, pushing the ice cream to the sides with a spoon in order to reach the bottom. Fill the hole with the chocolate chips and cacao nibs. Use the mix-in setting to disperse the chocolate mix-ins evenly.

  6. Now, enjoy!

Q and A

Q: Do I need to use Greek yogurt for this recipe?

A: Other kinds of yogurt would probably work, but I haven’t tested it and therefore can’t guarantee favorable results.

Q: Can I make this without the Ninja Creami?

A: If you have an ice cream machine, here is what I recommend. Follow parts 1 and 2 of the directions, then strain out any leftover mango fibers. Then churn according to your ice cream machine’s specifications. Pour into an empty ice cream container, fold in the chocolate chips and cacao nibs, and freeze until firm enough to scoop. I have not done this, but it should work!

Q: What is the difference between frozen yogurt and ice cream?

A: Frozen yogurt has yogurt in it.

Comments